Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A LeSsOn About BaKiNg

Last year for Christmas I had my mom come over to my house and teach me how to make cinnamon rolls to give my neighbors. I have grown up watching my mom make these every year but still wasn't quite sure on the technique. They turned out fabulous! I wrote down the recipe and the "technique." I decided to make Kendell and his friends a treat the other day and the recipe says to add hot milk and then mix in the yeast. (For all you bakers, you probably already know my mistake) Well I continued to make the bread dough and sat it aside to rise. It should at least double in one hour. I came back in an hour and looked in the bowl and to my surprise the dough looked exactly the same as I left it. I left it alone for another hour and still no movement from the dough. I then called my mom to see what I had done wrong this time. Apparently "hot milk" translates to bath water warm milk. (mine was on the verge of boiling). Too hot of milk will kill the yeast...therefore not rise. So I started over and the cinnomon rolls turned out great. But let that be a lesson to you all!!!!


With and without yeast...

2 comments:

Chief said...

may i quote from YOUR own blog?..." I decided to make Kendell and his FRIENDS a treat the other day" lets underline friends in this quote. I have yet to recieve a tasty treat young lady! And i shared my mystery squash seeds with you.... (shaking my head in disappointment and raising my fist in outrage)

Iverson's said...

Um this treat was made for the "Halo Party" which you chose not to attend. Your loss...