Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Curtains that Tried to Kill ME

So many may have heard my story about the curtains and now that they are all done and hung up some have asked for pictures. Well here they are and here is the story....

So memorial day weekend Joan's had a big sale on their drapery fabrics. I had this material picked out and it was the only one in the whole store that I liked. When we brought it to the cutting table there was enough of it but not all in one piece. So we (My mother and I) stress and tried to figure something out. We called every Joan's possible and no one had it. They were also no longer making it. So what was in front of us was all they had. I needed 6 curtains and was only able to get 5 in one piece. My mom decided she could stitch together the last curtain and hide the seam. So we purchased this material that was originally 26 dollars a yard....50% off at 12 dollars a yard...then with our 50% off coupon...6 dollars a yard! Steal!

Well my mom did a fine job stitching together the last piece but I however could not identify the right and wrong side of the fabric. I therefore sewed my curtains inside out. (hand sewed to be specific) So I unpicked my hours worth of work out and started over. They were finally ready to hang.

My mom and I figured out the spacing for the rings to go and carefully cut 7 holes into the top of the curtains. It was when we hung them on the rod that we realized we needed in fact 8 holes to hang properly! So again with the stitching the curtains back together and recutting the holes.

After all this stress I wonder if buying curtains would have been easier???? Never the less....here is the final project!



Here is a bad picture of my kitchen curtains. My mother and young women's leader designed the idea of using the door pull and door knobs to hang them. They are really pretty. Ta da!



3 comments:

The Asper's said...

Don't you have a sewing machine? Why in the world are you hand stitching them?

Iverson's said...

So you can't see the hem on the outside...duh!

Jordan said...

Oh but they ended up looking so good! Good choice of fabric too!